Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Fall Blahs and Swine Flu

My household and some of those with whom I share children have suffered bouts of swine flu already. It seems to me the CDC is sometwhat behind the eight ball on this epidemic. My son still has not received his promised vaccinations through his school. Nobody in Santa Fe appears to even have the vaccine which is supposed to protect against swine flu available as of this week. Younger people are documented to be at greater risk of serious complications and even death from this strain of the flu. Why wasn't the US more prepared to deal with this in a timely fashion?

2 comments:

  1. Not here yet either and my wife is a nurse so she will probably be first in line when it actually arrives. I heard a physician on the radio today (my local, Great NPR station- WAMC - especially for those who are into politics) who was saying that recent research seems to indicate that vitamin D has a protective effect against flu. He thinks that explains why flu is almost non-existant in the summer. Of course, in new

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mexico, sunlight is more prevalent and people spend more time outdoors than in Massachusetts.

    ReplyDelete